Sunday, January 2, 2011

Boy Thinking

One of the most interesting topics I can think of is how the minds of young children work. How do they go about processing new information and how do they learn? My daughter-in-law’s blog about the antics of her little boys (my dear little grandsons!) sheds light on this topic. With an excerpt from her recent blog we will start the seventh year of Bringing Up Baby.

Blake and Gavin discovered a bowl of dried, fake decorative stuff we have around the house -- pine cones, pomegranates, and some odd-looking seed balls. The seed ball is perfectly round and manages to fit quite well into a little palm. Gavin made the discovery and Blake was quick to follow and find one for himself. There they were, staring at me with these little balls in their hands and their faces full of anticipation. The words came from Blake:

"What are these?"

"Can we throw them?"

"Can we roll them?"

"How do we break these?"

It was the last question that had me laughing, as well as the rapid-fire delivery of the questioning. I didn't even have a moment to answer between questions.

The reason for documenting this is that I feel Blake's last question gives me great insight into boy-thinking. I'll sum it up as follows: discovering any new item is a matter of "how do I conquer this?" (i.e. break it). This must explain why Blake is constantly taking apart his toy cars with a mini screwdriver and perhaps gives meaning to yesterday's event: Blake digging through the tool drawer collecting all the allen wrenches and explaining to me that he was going to "fix the fire alarm" that was beeping while I was cooking dinner.---- http://craneandtwodiggers.blogspot.com/

Now I have a challenge for mothers of little girls. Please call me with your insight concerning ‘girl-thinking’. It is almost 38 years since I was the mother of a little girl and I need some help from you!

For your amusement I’m including a Mother Goose rhyme.

What are little girls made of?

Sugar and spice and everything nice.

That’s what little girls are made of.

What are little boys made of?

Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails.

That’s what little boys are made of!

Toad House Publishing

Twinkletime Rhymes to Print

No comments:

Post a Comment